ABOUT US ~ FORT VALLEY LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY CENTER
The Fort Valley Library is nestled in a picturesque valley within the Massanutten Mountain. Our dedicated staff of volunteers provides a variety of media, technology and activities for the community. We maintain an adult collection of fiction and non-fiction, reference books, a young adult collection, as well as local and civil war history. We have an extensive children’s collection, with a great emphasis on establishing a fun and educational atmosphere. The children’s room is brightly colored with children’s furniture, a stage, and shelving designed for them to browse books ranging from pre-school through middle school levels. We also provide WiFi, Internet available computers for adults and children, free interfacing with other Shenandoah County library sites such as Find It Virginia, Morningstar, Mango, NoveList, and credo reference, computer programs for children, word processing, faxing, copying, eBooks, audio books, DVDs and videos are all available. Some of our activities include Wednesday morning “Story Time”, a Children’s Summer Reading Program, a monthly “Lyceum” lecture series, Spring Fling and Love Your Library Day. Reserved space is available for social functions. The Fort Valley Library is more than just a building with books; it’s a community.
HISTORY: The Fort Valley Library opened on May 2, 1998. It is housed in the “Old Fort School” building, which has a noble past. It was the smallest school in the state of Virginia with the highest test scores. The Fort school closed in 1994 and the building stood empty, the deterioration was inevitable. The roof was caving in and it had extensive water damage. Our community wanted a local library and community center so they persuaded the county to let them bring the former two-room schoolhouse back to life. Many volunteer hours were spent scraping and painting, building shelves, sorting books and eventually a dream became reality. Our library initially opened as a community library and now has become part of the Shenandoah County Library system.
MISSION: Our Mission is to provide convenient access to information in useful formats; to create an environment that fosters life-long learning, personal enrichment and a more literate society; to strengthen information partnerships through resource sharing; and to promote library services, programs, and materials in our community.
Our goals for the coming years are:
- To continue our monthly Lyceum presentations for the residents of Fort Valley and surrounding areas.
- To foster educational programs for community residents.
- To strengthen our special collections and educate community residents about the availability of our special collections in the following areas: local history, civil war, forestry, gardening, hunting & fishing, and knitting.
- To continue to provide popular current fiction for our residents.
- To focus attention on our library and its resources by organizing and sponsoring annual celebrations.
- To continue offering our strong children’s Summer Reading programs and our weekly, yearlong children’s story hour.
- To train and recruit volunteers in order to provide our patrons with a useful staff.
- To maintain the building & equipment in a manner that assures the safety of the public and its continuation as a community resource.
- To increase the use of the building for community and family activities.